- About Us
- Join Us
"Knights Under the Stars" Public Event Schedule
- This is the schedule of public events -- "Knights Under The Stars" -- for the Spring 2016 semester.
- In the table below, green means we are open, red means closed due to weather or holiday, yellow means we haven't decided yet, and white means the event is in the future. Florida's fickle weather means that we cannot be sure an Open House will occur until just before the scheduled time it starts! We're sorry if that makes things logistically harder but we try to avoid situations where people needlessly come to the observatory.
- We are unlikely to have any events over Summer 2016. The Fall 2016 schedule will appear here in August.
- For future events, check back here or on our Facebook or Twitter page an hour or so before the start time to see if weather will allow us to be open!
- Scroll down to the bottom of this page to learn more about our KUTS events.
End of Civil Twilight
|Astronomy Society meeting?|
|1||Thu Jan 28||7:30-9:30pm EST||6:01 pm EST||6:25 pm EST|
|2||Wed Feb 3||7:30-9:30pm EST||6:06 pm EST||6:30 pm EST|| 6:00-7:00pm PSB 161
|3||Thu Feb 11||7:30-9:30pm EST||6:12 pm EST||6:36 pm EST|
|4||Wed Feb 17||7:30-9:30pm EST||6:17 pm EST||6:40 pm EST||5:30-6:30pm PSB 161
|5||Thu Feb 25||7:30-9:30pm EST||6:22 pm EST||6:45 pm EST|
|6||Wed Mar 2||7:30-9:30pm EST||6:26 pm EST||6:49 pm EST|| 5:30-6:30pm PSB 161
|7||Wed Mar 16||9:00-10:30pm EDT||7:35 pm EDT||7:57 pm EDT|| 7:00-8:00pm PSB 161
|8||Thu Mar 24||9:00-10:30pm EDT||7:39 pm EDT||8:02 pm EDT|
|9||Thu Mar 31||9:00-10:30pm EDT||7:43 pm EDT||8:06 pm EDT|
|10||Wed Apr 6||9:00-10:30pm EDT||7:46 pm EDT||8:09 pm EDT|| 7:00-8:00pm PSB 161
|11||Thu Apr 14||9:00-10:30pm EDT||7:51 pm EDT||8:14 pm EDT|
|12||Wed Apr 20||9:00-10:30pm EDT||7:54 pm EDT||8:18 pm EDT|| 7:00-8:00pm PSB 161
|13||Mon May 9*||1:30-3:00 pm EDT||NA||NA|
* Note this event's special time -- it is a DAYTIME event. We'll only be looking (safely) at the Sun.
What happens at a "Knights Under The Stars" event?
- At a typical event, we set up a variety of portable telescopes and point them at various interesting objects in the sky. Each telescope is staffed by a knowledgeable volunteer who can explain to you what your seeing, and answer any other questions you have. All you have to do is show up and gaze in amazement through the telescopes at the wonders of the night sky!
- We also give visitors brief (~15-minute) tours of our permanently-mounted, research-quality 20-inch telescope. This is the telescope that is housed upstairs in the observatory building itself.
- The events are free and are open to UCF and non-UCF people alike.
- Parking on our site is free but limited -- please carpool if you can. You can of course park elsewhere on campus and walk to us, but you'll need to have a parking permit already or purchase a daily permit from a permit machine. Driving directions are available on our directions page.
- All ages are welcome. No reservations/registrations are required (though if you're bringing a big group, let us know). There is no need to come for the entire time; just show up whenever you like. There is no set program; the events are very informal and casual.
- If you have any questions about KUTS, send email to email@example.com.