- About Us
- Join Us
"Knights Under the Stars" Public Event Schedule
- This is the schedule of public events -- "Knights Under The Stars" -- for the Fall 2016 semester.
- In the table below, green means we are open, red means closed due to weather or holiday, yellow means we haven't decided yet, and white means the event is in the future. Florida's fickle weather means that we cannot be sure an Open House will occur until just before the scheduled time it starts! We're sorry if that makes things logistically harder but we try to avoid situations where people needlessly come to the observatory.
- Our event scheduled for Wednesday September 21 is CANCELLED due to persistent evening cloudiness. Sorry!
- Our next event is scheduled for Thursday September 29. Check back here or on our Facebook or Twitter page an hour or so before the start time to see if weather will allow us to be open!
- Scroll down to the bottom of this page to learn more about what happens at our KUTS events.
End of Civil Twilight
|Astronomy Society meeting?|
|1||Wed Sep 7||8:30-10:00pm EDT||7:39 pm EDT||8:02 pm EDT|
|2||Wed Sep 21||8:30-10:00pm EDT||7:22 pm EDT||7:45 pm EDT|
|3||Thu Sep 29||8:30-10:00pm EDT||7:13 pm EDT||7:35 pm EDT|
|4||Sat Oct 8*||6:00-9:30pm EDT||7:03 pm EDT||7:25 pm EDT|
|5||Thu Oct 13||8:00-9:30pm EDT||6:57 pm EDT||7:20 pm EDT|
|6||Thu Oct 27||8:00-9:30pm EDT||6:44 pm EDT||7:07 pm EDT|
|7||Wed Nov 2||8:00-9:30pm EDT||6:39 pm EDT||7:02 pm EDT|
|8||Thu Nov 10||6:30-8:30pm EST||5:34 pm EST||5:58 pm EST|
|9||Wed Nov 16||6:30-8:30pm EST||5:31 pm EST||5:55 pm EST|
|10||Thu Dec 1||6:30-8:30pm EST||5:28 pm EST||5:53 pm EST|
* Note this event's special day as part of the "International Observe the Moon Night." Details to be announced soon.
What happens at a "Knights Under The Stars" event?
- At a typical event, we set up a variety of portable telescopes -- usually Meade LX90s with 8-inch primary mirrors -- and point them at various interesting objects in the sky. Each telescope is staffed by a knowledgeable volunteer who can explain to you what your seeing, and answer any other questions you have. All you have to do is show up and gaze in amazement through the telescopes at the wonders of the night sky!
- We also give visitors brief (~15-minute) tours of our permanently-mounted, research-quality 20-inch telescope. This is the telescope that is housed upstairs in the observatory building itself.
- The events are free and are open to UCF and non-UCF people alike.
- Parking at our site, for the purpose of visiting the observatory itself, is free -- but space is limited, so please carpool if you can. You can of course park elsewhere on campus and walk to us, but you'll need to have a parking permit already or to have purchased a daily permit from a permit dispensing machine. Driving directions are available on our directions page.
- All ages are welcome. No reservations/registrations are required (though if you're bringing a big group, let us know). There is no need to come for the entire time; just show up whenever you like. There is no set program; the events are very informal and casual. Just please follow our Facebook and/or Twitter accounts to be sure that the weather will let us be open; it'd be sad if you came for a visit when we had to cancel!
- If you have any questions about KUTS, send email to email@example.com.